What are the most likely causes of Odynophagia?
Odynophagia – painful swallowing – can be connected to numerous health issues. A minor condition is not something to be concerned about. Some other causes may require urgent attention.
Possible causes of odynophagia include:
- Cancer – tumours develop in the oesophagus
- HIV – oesophagus issues occur frequently in this patient group
- GORD – stomach acid leaks back into the oesophagus
- Ulcers – can occur in the throat as they do in the stomach
- Candida infection – fungal (yeast) infection spreads from the mouth
An odynophagia diagnosis will require an endoscopy and all sufferers need to seek medical help to ensure the underlying cause is known. Patients with dysphagia should be monitored for signs of odynophagia.
Footnotes and abbreviations:
HIV, human immunodeficiency virus
GORD, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
The content you are trying to access is intended for healthcare professionals only.