WHAT ARE SMA®CMA FORMULAS?
SMA® CMA formulas are used for the effective first-line dietary management of formula-fed infants with cows’ milk allergy1–7
Cows’ milk allergy (CMA) – also known as cows' milk protein allergy – is one of the most common food allergies.8 It typically presents with >2 diverse and non-specific symptoms that affect >2 organ systems.9–13 Symptoms can be IgE (immediate) or non-IgE (delayed) mediated and may include:9–13
SYMPTOMS OF COW MILK ALLERGY WHICH SMA® CMA CAN HELP WITH
Digestive and General Symptoms
E.g. Vomiting, diarrhoea and constipation
E.g. Colic and faltering growth can be a consequence of CMA5
DISCOVER THE FIRST-LINE SOLUTIONS FOR CMA
Discover the first-line solutions for CMA
Explore our range of SMA® CMA formulas in both Alfamino® SMA® and a Althéra® CMA.
For hypoallergenic formula for infants and babies, check out SMA® Althéra, next.
- Niggemann B et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2008; 194(4): 348–354.
- Vandenplas Y et al. Acta Paediatr 2013; 102(8): 990–998.
- Meyer R et al. EMJ Allergy and Immunol. 2017; 2(1): 46–51.
- Madrazo-de la Garza J et al. EMJ Allergy and Immunol. 2018; 31(1): 56–58.
- Nowak-Wegrzyn, A et al. Clin Pediatr. 2015; 54(3): 264–272.
- NHSc, Clinical Audits & Service Reviews: Leeds General Infirmary & Manchester Children’s hospital. Data on file.
- Corkins M et al. Medicine Insights: Pediatrics 2016; 10: 3–9.
- Grimshaw KEC et al. Clin Transl Allergy 2016; 6:1
- Koletzko S et al. JPGN 2012;55:221–9.
- Fiocchi A et al. World Allergy Organ J 2010; 3: 57–161.
- Santos A et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2010; 21: 1127–1134
- Høst A & Halken S. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 2014; 14(1): 2–8.
- Luyt D, et al. Clin Exp Allergy 2014; 44: 642–672.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Mothers should be encouraged to continue breastfeeding even when their babies have cows' milk protein allergy. This usually requires qualified dietary counselling to completely exclude all sources of cows' milk protein from the mothers’ diet. If a decision to use a special formula intended for infants is taken, it is important to follow the instructions on the label. Unboiled water, unboiled bottles or incorrect dilution can make babies ill. Incorrect storage, handling, preparation and feeding can eventually lead to adverse effects on the health of babies. Formula for special medical purposes intended for infants must be used under medical supervision.
Q: Who can use SMA® Alfamino®?
A: SMA® Alfamino® is designed for babies and infants with Cow Milk (protein) Allergies.
Nestlé Health Science UK Statement on Demand for Specialist Infant Formulas for Cows’ Milk and Multiple Food Allergies
We believe breast milk is the best food for infants. When in consultation with their healthcare professional, mothers and families find that optimal breastfeeding is not possible due to their infant’s medical condition, formulas for special medical purposes play a vital role in providing essential nutrients to infants. We have a global commitment to market breast-milk substitutes responsibly.
This website is about the management of cows’ milk protein allergy and nutritional solutions intended for infants. By continuing on this website, you accept that Nestlé Health Science supplies the information at your own request.
Are you a healthcare professional (HCP) or a parent?