SMA® Althéra® is designed to provide first-line formula relief from the symptoms associated with mild–moderate CMA and/or MFPA.1,2 SMA® Althéra® is whey based and nutritionally complete from birth to 6 months and for supplementary feeding up to 3 years of age to support growth and development.1,2
With its very low allergenic profile and preferred taste,5 it is designed to support increased acceptability and tolerance in the majority of infants with CMA.1–4
For more information on SMA® Althéra® or cows' milk allergy:
- Visit our CMA information page
- Contact your local representative
- Contact our Careline on 0800 0 81 81 80
- Use under strict medical supervision after full considerations of all the feeding options available, including breastfeeding. For oral or enteral use only.
- †Althéra® is not recommended where only an amino acid formula is indicated.
A food for special medical purposes. Mothers should be encouraged to continue breastfeeding even when their infants have cow's milk protein allergy. This usually requires qualified dietary counseling to completely exclude all sources of cow's milk protein from the mothers’ diet. If a decision to use a special formula intended for infants is taken, it is important to give instructions on correct preparation methods, emphasising that unboiled water, unsterilised bottles or incorrect dilution can all lead to illness. Formula for special medical purposes intended for infants must be used under medical supervision. For healthcare professionals only.
Product Storage and Shelf Life
Store in a cool dry place.
Shelf life of 24 months from date of manufacture.
Use within 3 weeks of opening.
Frequently asked questions
- Niggemann B et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2008; 194(4): 348–354.
- Vandenplas Y et al. Acta Paediatr 2013; 102(8): 990–998.
- Meyer R et al. EMJ Allergy and Immunol 2017; 2(1): 46–51.
- Madrazo-de la Garza J et al. EMJ Allergy and Immunol. 2018; 31(1): 56–58.
- Data on File. Althéra® versus casein-based formulas. Independent competitive benchmarking test.
- Francavilla R et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2012; 23: 420–427.
- Rapp M et al. Poster presentation: Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Meeting (FAAM 2013) Nice, France. 7-9 February 2013.
- Maslin K. et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2018; 29(8): 857–862.
Footnotes and abbreviations:
† SMA® Althéra® is not recommended where only an amino acid formula is recommended
AAF, amino acid formula
CMA, cows’ milk allergy
eHF, extensively hydrolysed formula
FAQs, frequently asked questions
MFPA, multiple food protein allergies
Nestlé Health Science produces a range of foods for special medical purposes (FSMP) for use under medical supervision. A sample product should only be requested for a patient if deemed suitable following a professional evaluation from an appropriate healthcare professional. Althera® and Alfamino® are infant FSMPs and should only be used after the full consideration of the feeding options available, including breastfeeding.
The Nestlé Health Science Sample Service is available to healthcare professionals only, who require sample products for professional evaluation when they have no sample product or if a patient has insufficient product to cover their needs. This service is not intended as a long term solution for a patient.
® Reg. Trademark of Société des Produits Nestlé S.A. Terms and conditions apply.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Mothers should be encouraged to continue breastfeeding even when their babies have cows' milk protein allergy. This usually requires qualified dietary counselling to completely exclude all sources of cows' milk protein from the mothers’ diet. If a decision to use a special formula intended for infants is taken, it is important to follow the instructions on the label. Unboiled water, unboiled bottles or incorrect dilution can make babies ill. Incorrect storage, handling, preparation and feeding can eventually lead to adverse effects on the health of babies. Formula for special medical purposes intended for infants must be used under medical supervision.
We believe breast milk is the best food for infants. When in consultation with their healthcare professional, mothers and families find that optimal breastfeeding is not possible due to their infant’s medical condition, formulas for special medical purposes play a vital role in providing essential nutrients to infants. We have a global commitment to market breast-milk substitutes responsibly.
This website is about the management of cows’ milk protein allergy and nutritional solutions intended for infants. By continuing on this website, you accept that Nestlé Health Science supplies the information at your own request.