Anaphylactic shock is a severe, immediate, allergic reaction, which can affect many organ systems. Anaphylactic shock is serious and potentially life threatening.
When anaphylactic shock is most severe, a baby may experience airway narrowing and swelling, and a drop in blood pressure making it difficult to breathe. Anaphylactic shock happens most often in children and although it is not common, it is not rare.
If you suspect your baby has had an anaphylactic shock, you should contact the emergency services and take your baby to the hospital immediately.
Could it be Cows’ Milk Allergy?
An allergic reaction to food, e.g. Cows’ Milk Allergy (CMA) is one of the most common triggers of anaphylactic shock in babies. Other triggers include insect stings, medications and latex. Symptoms can occur very suddenly and get worse very quickly.